Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Why I have (and love) my chickens.

This is the third year that I have had chickens.  It has been a learning and positive experience with many benefits for me as well as the other critters.  I never knew there were so many kinds of chickens (and roosters) until I went to my local farm/feed store when they had 'Chick Days' in February.  This store buys from hatcheries and gets deliveries once a week of various types of chicks.  I have some pictures on the bottom of the blog page.  This year I have 11 new ones so far and am amazed at how quickly they grow within just a week's time.  The only downside I have experienced is when they choose to poop in inconvenient locations (which for me has not been too often.)  Here are some fun facts I have learned:
- Chickens will solve your insect and tick problem.  They eat them all which is great because I have not had to use flea medication on my dogs since I got them.
- You can usually tell the color of egg the chicken will lay by the color of their earlobe (sounds weird but seems to be true.)
- Chickens can fly for short distances.  Mine, however, seem to forget they possess that skill when they most need it (ie a predator or dog is after them, they will run...Duh!!!).
- Roosters don't care what time of day it is to speak their opinion.
- If you ever come to my place, leave your windows/top closed or you may leave with one of my chickens.
- They are hardier than you would think.  I do not have a separate shelter for them and they have survived some sub-zero conditions.

I wonder what colors I would get if I tried to dye the blue and pinkish eggs for Easter?

No comments:

Post a Comment