Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Dogs and their antics

The weather has been unseasonably warm and, as a result, the dogs have an overabundance of energy! It seems I now have 3-4 rabbits that like my back yard (the fenced in part where the dogs run.) Last night and every night before this week, I let the dogs out to do their business and there are at least 2 just sitting on the concrete. They seem to wait until the dogs get so close it scares me to run through the fence. I used to have only to do a 'chicken check' but now I have to do a 'rabbit check' as well. As much as I love my dog critters, the big rescue girl Dutchess has killed one of my chickens who happened to be in their area. (It was my fault for not checking.) Yes, I cried.
When the dogs are outside and running around, it also tends to rile up the Alpaca boys who are right next to them. I have read that in the 'wild', the main predator for Alpacas are wild dogs. The dogs kick / attack their underbellies which is an extremely vulnerable area for Alpacas. For the most part, my Alpacas don't mind the dogs with the exception being Versace who loves to chase them. (I was mortified coming home one day last year and realizing that I had left Mighty Mo, my male cavalier, out with the boys!). He was fine, thank God.
Next week will be even warmer so I guess this hyperactivity will be around for a while yet. Thank God for the chickens as I wouldn't want to be buying Frontline this early!!!

2 comments:

  1. we are counting the days until we get our new dog....Bella (our old faithful dog) has been gone for about 10 weeks...and we all still miss her!! The boys feel like they are betraying her if we get another dog... we could use dogs likes yours with a lot of energy!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving your blog.......I love it that people are posting suggestions. You are doing a great job. Can't wait to see your next post.

    ReplyDelete