Saturday, March 10, 2012

It's a fun time of year if you raise chickens!

I put new pictures at the bottom of this blog which show some of my newbies for this year. So far I have 3 New Hampshire Reds and it seems like a strange name since they are mostly yellow. They do have red crowns, though, and lay pinkish brown eggs. The one in the picture below is only a few weeks old and it is amazing how fast they grow! I keep them, along with the 4 new Barred Plymouth Rocks, inside in a cage with a feeder and water. In a separate cage I have 4 Black link pullets which are so pretty when the sun hits their feathers. They are a week or two younger than the New Hampshires and Barred Plymouths, and are in a separate cage right next to the other one. (That way I only have to use one heat lamp!). With any luck, I can put them together in a couple of weeks since I still want to get some of the 'caunas', which are the green and blue egg layers:) More to come, as the best part is the first time they go outside, which will be a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment