Friday, March 23, 2012

Welcome Home, 'Cauna Girls (I hope:) )

3/22/12
The farm store called to let me know they received Americauna chicks which I was on a waiting list for (yes, a waiting list). Pictures of the new chicks are at the bottom and it is true, they are like a box of chocolates (never know what you will get). Last year I got both Americauna and Aracauna chicks and am really not sure of the difference. There are a lot of different varieties within both types of 'caunas' and it's pretty neat to see what they grow into. Perfect examples of this surprise factor are Mr Waddles (my black/white/red rooster) and Cogburn (my blue/yellow/black/brown rooster) who both came from the 'caunas' from last year. They try to determine the girls from the boys but it's obviously not an exact science. You know when the first cockadoodledoos are heard:) Anyway I have 10 and they are tiny but doing well. Rumor has it that a gentleman had come in before me picking out his 'caunas' and he was looking at their feet(?) to tell what variety they would be. I wish I had his number but can't wait to see and will document their growth. The newbies are in a separate cage with a heat lamp, feed, and water. The other two sets are getting big and hopefully the weather will stay warm as the first ones I got are getting antsy and flighty!
PS. There are a lot of varieties of both Americauna and Aracauna chickens and I don't pretend to know them all. Interesting fact found in my chicken book is that you can tell the difference by the color of their skin (one is yellow, one is slate). I don't get that up close but to keep it simple I just label their pictures as 'cauna' because they are all beautiful and unique!

No comments:

Post a Comment