Saturday, March 10, 2012

Alpaca Alley

Believe it or not, Alpacas actually prefer the cold to the heat, and especially the humidity. This weather is great for people but if it hits 85 degrees, it's time to break out the hoses. They LOVE having their underbellies and legs soaked with the hose water, and fight each other to get the first dousing. It's pretty funny to watch and you have to be careful not to get spit on or kicked. People often ask if they spit and kick like llamas do. I have never had llamas but have heard they are less friendly. When my Alpacas spit, it is usually at each other (or if I am doing something to annoy them in which case I deserve it.) When it comes to kicking, I would compare it to walking behind a horse. They have kicked me and it HURTS, but it has always been when I startled them from behind. All in all they are gentle creatures with a flight vs fight response to danger. They do like to 'play' though which can be painful for the human.
I was going to feed the boys one day and had on my tan Carhart coat with the hood up. It was the first time I wore this coat to feed them. I always look over my shoulder as I walk to the feeders with my bucket in hand because they like to 'sneak' up on me and give me a literal head butt. When I looked over my shoulder, to my surprise I saw Gus on his hind legs like a horse rearing up and I quickly pulled my hood off of my head while speeding away. He must have thought I looked like him (he is my tan guy) because he never acted that way before or since. I now wear my blue coat to feed:) !!!
Fun facts: Alpacas are shorn once a year and they look really goofy afterwards.
When Alpacas kneel down, it is called cushing. They tend to try to
'cush' whenever we try to give them their shots, which makes it a little more difficult.
Most insurance companies consider them 'exotic' and some won't cover
them.

4 comments:

  1. They sound cute, I knew a bunch of people growing up that raised alpacas! New follower from bloggy moms, I have two dogs and three cats and I love animals :) Have a great evening!

    http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article! I'm your newest follower!

    ~ http://trendymomreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your post! Following you back from Gloria's Bits and Pieces:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post and linking up to my hop. I am now following. Come follow me via RSS or email:)

    ReplyDelete