Saturday, March 17, 2012

I know how the Pied Piper feels when I feed the chickens!

I posted a picture toward the bottom of this blog and I was standing inside my shed when I took it. When I first come out the front door in the morning and head toward the shed, the chickens all come running from every direction and follow me to the door. I have to close the door behind me or they all try to get in and it is not a pretty sight! This morning I had my camera in my pocket and took the pic. The hew chicks are getting bigger and all are healthy. With the warm temps, I haven't had to heat the room they are in which is nice on the electric bill. It will still be a while before I can let them outside, and I can't wait. Cleaning their cages is NOT fun, but it is worth it. I still want to get more green and blue egg layers but they haven't come in yet:( They have plenty of bugs to eat. For those who haven't had chickens, I feed the 'babies' what they call "Starter Crumbles" which are just fine little pellets, and the older ones get "Layer Crumbles" which look basically the same. (Maybe they are and it is just a racket?) I doubt it though because the price is about the same. Selling their eggs pretty much covers the cost of feed so it all works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment