Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Daisy and Delila, the Cavalier and the Chihuahua

The two 'little girl' dogs are Daisy (featured at the top of the blog) and Delila, who is a chihuahua mix I rescued from an area vet's office. New pics of both are at the bottom of the blog and speaking of bottoms, the picture of Daisy's bottom half is actually a picture I took on purpose. After a conversation with a woman at my church who was asking why sometimes dogs lay like upside down frogs with their legs splayed backwards and tail in between, I remembered a conversation I had with Daisy's breeder. She (the breeder) told me and it was confirmed by Google and other sources, that the best way to tell if a dog's hips and knees are in good shape is if they are able to lay this way. It also allows maximum skin exposure to cool the dogs body since most tend to do it on kitchen or bathroom (tile or concrete) surfaces when the temps outside get too warm. Mo, my male cavalier, is a little too fat to do it anymore but he could at one time:)
Delila is my other little girl and she was too cute to pass up. When I got back from a trip to Iowa where my oldest daughter was married, I stopped at my vet's office to pick up my dogs (took two trips in my little car). On the first trip, I picked up Daisy and Mo, my cavaliers, and couldn't help but notice that there was a very cute dog in a crate in the middle of the reception area. My curiosity and heartstrings were inspired. After taking my cavaliers home and returning for my two rescues (Dutchess, the mastiff mix and Sampson, a chihuahua mix), I kept thinking how cute that little doggie in the crate was.
When I got back to the vet's office, I didn't see the crate but asked about the dog. The vet's wife told me that the dog was still there and in one of the kennels in the back. They were trying to do a 'show and tell' to get people interested in adopting or spreading the word about dogs that needed homes. Well it worked! I told her that if my big mastiff mix got along with the 'show and tell dog' who is now mine and named Delila, I would take her. Guess how that turned out?! I did warn the vet's wife to not 'do that' to me again but it is a great idea that has resulted in several adoptions. I love her and wouldn't change a thing. She looks so tiny in the picture below and in person but she has the heart and attitude of a lion. Since she was literally picked up on the street, they can only guess her age to be about 1-2 years old but I will love her and keep her forever. Of course I had her 'fixed'!
Please recommend to your vet or shelter to try a similar 'show and tell' approach as it is free advertising and works for suckers like me! :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment