Monday, April 23, 2012

Chickens On the Move

Well, I think the Grey Lady is now a ghost lady as there was a fox visitor which most likely had her for breakfast. She was always in the literal 'dog house' and would lay on eggs all day and night which made her a sitting chicken so to speak. She would have been a great brooding hen, ie laying on eggs until they hatched, and I hate that she is gone. Some say, and it is sad but true, that when you have livestock you have deadstock. I still cry over lost critters. On a happier and preventive note, I have moved all the chicken nesting boxes, dog house, and coop as close to the house as it can be without being in my living room! My first round of chicks for this year are happily (and safely) in a coop outside and are growing fast. Due to the wonderful (not) weather, I have had to run heat lamps a few nights to keep them cozy but they are doing great. That only leaves me with 10 still inside! Hopefully the 'caunas' can move outside in a couple of weeks into the coop that the first round won't need anymore. I will update with pics next time, but this round of updates is about the taller 4 legged critters:)

No comments:

Post a Comment