Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Alpaca Girls and My Girl Chillin'

I am not sure what happened to spring but when the mercury hits above 85, the Alpacas love to be hosed down. They actually need it. My youngest daughter Colleen was more than happy to help cool the girls down. Miranda, the brown and white (largest as well) girl, is the biggest hose hog. She insists on being in front and whether we are trying to fill the water tub or cool her off, she will put her face in the hose and then her legs. She does the face in the hose bit and then sneezes, go figure. When we aim the hose lower, like toward her underbelly or legs, she will raise her legs up to (I guess) meet the hose half-way? Lola (the all-white girl) will usually be next in line and try to twirl around to make sure we get her front and back legs. I call her twirlygirl. And then she will 'kush' or kneel down when she is wet enough. Titania, the dark brown girl, will try to get her turn but Miranda usually tries to block her shots! It is pretty funny to watch them but I also have to be careful in terms of where the water hits them. It may sound strange, but getting the tops of their fur (upper back) wet can be more harmful than helpful. This is especially true when they haven't been shorn and the humidity is high. Luckily the humidity wasn't high and there has been a breeze to keep both boys and girls cool. I just really enjoyed watching Colleen hose the girls down as they all had fun and I felt like such a proud Momma!
Fun fact (not really for the electric bill): I have the fans on standby as when the weather gets too warm and humidity too high, I put a fan for each Alpaca and they love laying in front of them. Even though I have one per Alpaca, Miranda is a hose AND fan hog, and Versace is the male equivalent!

2 comments:

  1. Alpaca's sound like such interesting animals!

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! Gentle, goofy, only 5' tall, and the only bad thing is that insurance companies consider them 'exotic'. Sounds cool but costs more:(

      Delete