Friday, September 14, 2012

Chickens are laying great, and scaring the cat!

It still amazes me the colors and personalities that chickens have as well as the environmental advantages (IMHO) that they bring.  Some may think that they are dirty, poop everywhere, and even carry disease but I find that not to be the case, at least for me.  I am more concerned at what stray cats bring!  It's true that chickens do doodoo wherever they want, especially when they are free range as mine are.  I have a property that is laid out very well for it, and a patience to deal with poop around the front of the house!  Hosing the deck once a day is a small price to pay for not having to have (or spray for) ticks, fleas, mosquitos, which the chickens gladly consume.  They also keep the flies away from the Alpaca and dog poop which helps them (although the dogs still consider the chickens a food group and I do have to practice animal segregation for everyone's survival.  Call it profiling but if I don't I will lose a chicken:) ).
I have a picture below comparing one of the new chick's eggs compared to the older chicks and I think the weather is a factor.  Last year's chickens that I got did not really lay until September but this year's have been laying since about July.  I got them at the same respective time of the year.  While both last years and this years chicks froze at the sight of the snake, they all terrorize the cat.  It's too funny to watch them chase her.  I can put a can a food out for the kitty but if I don't guard the can for the kitty, the chickens will chase her away.  They are bigger than she is.  BTW I NEVER GET CHICKEN FLAVORED CAT FOOD!  Don't want to tempt fate but my money is on the chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment