Monday, May 28, 2012

Chick Flicks and Pics

My first round of chickens for this year are about ready to be released permanently.  They have been outdoors but kept in a coop until they are close in size to the ones I got over the last 2 years.  This group consists of 4 Plymouth Barred Rock (Domineckers?), 3 New Hampshire Reds, and 4 Black Link Pullets.  Check out their pic below and how big they have gotten!  My second round are 10 'caunas', which I have in 2 separate cages because they are too big to be in the same one.  Their colors are gorgeous and they love to spread their wings.  Chickens are not 'flightless', but I guess they are if you clip their wings.  Some people do this but I personally don't believe in it, nor do I want to do it to them.  My older chickens fly up 6 feet and roost on a chain link panel by the Alpaca girls.  They are pretty consistent and start this process about 7:30pm every night.  When the old birds(:) ) roost, I let the newbies out of their cages so that I can clean/feed them, but they actually go back in voluntarily (security feeling).  There is always a feeling of trepidation when I let the young ones with the 'veterans', but they usually get along just fine.  It helps that I don't keep them in a coop as I have heard they get territorial and even cannibalistic (yuck!).  There is enough yard for everyone:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment